I have experienced the nightlife of Seoul mostly in an area called Hongdae. It has clubs, bars, restaurants, shops, hofs, hookah bars, and norebangs. The hot spots are heavily populated by local college students and and foreigners as well. It has a really great vibe. A couple of weeks ago I was lost with a friend and two girls came up and put a beer in my had and popped it open. Enjoy. Seoul does not have open container laws so you can just drink your bottle of Soju while walking to your next destination.
Something bizarre usually occurs on a night out. One night were at a bar called Go-Go's. One of the workers busted out a Power Rangers helmet. Anyone that knows me knows that I would not be able to pass up an opportunity to wear a Power Rangers helmet. I danced with it on until it got to hot and gave it back to the worker. The same bar plays a really weird mix of music and I was surprised to hear Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Kings of Leon.
There was a St. Patrick's Day parade. I had made plans to wear green and go out afterwards. I thought it would be a small parade and questioned whether anyone besides my fellow teachers would be celebrating. It ended up being huge because of the big expat population. That night we headed to Itaewon and all the places were packed with partiers. My friend and I appropriately hung out with Irish guys the whole night.
Last weekend I went to a place called Jokerred in Hongdae that had a DJ spinning. I have observed that Koreans do not really dance with each other. They all face where the DJ is and dance towards him. I love dancing by myself so I usually do-si-do around everyone stopping to hug and talk to some people.
We went to a place called JJ last night. It had some live bands. The bands were really good and I elbowed my way to the front when they played a Black Crows cover. We also went to OI, a dance club that we had been to before. You have to take your shoes off at the door and enter via maze. Inside it looks like an underwater reef without water. People put there stuff in plastic bags and lay it down anywhere. I've noticed that theft is not really a problem in Seoul.
The downside of the amazing nightlife is that I have been spending loads of money.
It takes a toll when you add up cover charges, drinks, dinner, water and cab fares.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment